Kolhapur: A senior official on Tuesday said three villages with 7000 people in Kolhapur district have got completely cut off due to floods and evacuation efforts were underway. Pune Divisional Commissioner Deepak Mhaisekar said the flood situation in Kolhapur and Sangli was “critical” as several rivers in the region were flowing above the danger mark.
“Due to incessant rains, rivers in Sangli and Kolhapur are flowing above the danger line. Three villages in Kolhapur with 7000 people have got cut off completely and efforts are on to evacuate them,” Mhaisekar. He added that 34 out of 103 bridges have gone under water due to the rains in the past few days.
Pune Division consists of Pune, Sangli, Satara, Kolhapur and Solapur districts, all in the western part of the state. Another official said a flood-like situation was getting created in Pandharpur town in Solapur district after water was released from Ujani dam, adding that 700 people had been shifted to safer places there.
“A total of 12,228 families, or 53,582 people, in Pune division have been shifted to safer places,” the official said. An official said schools and colleges in Sangli and Kolhapur will remain shut on Wednesday, as well as in Mulshi, Velha, Bhor and Maval tehsils of Pune.
Maharashtra Minister for Relief and Rehabilitation Subhash Deshmukh reviewed the flood situation in Pune, Satara, Sangli and Kolhapur districts. He asked officials to provide relief as quickly as possible and urged citizens to not believe in rumours.
Maharashtra Revenue minister Chandrakant Patil also visited areas in Pune hit by floods.