Sexual harassment case: AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan gets bail

New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party MLA Amanatullah Khan, who was arrested in connection with an alleged sexual harassment case, has been granted bail by a Delhi court.

AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan today got bail in Sexual harassment case.
AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan today got bail in Sexual harassment case.

A Delhi court on Wednesday had sent Khan to a one­day judicial custody soon after he was arrested.

“The court refused the police custody. The court said there is no grounds based on which he can be taken to police custody. Amanatullah has been sent to one­day judicial custody. The grounds of police were that they
needed a letter to be recovered and the co­accused is still absconding,” said Khan’s lawyer and AAP leader Somnath Bharti.

“The court did not agree to this. The police got a lesson as the court did not agree with the grounds. We have listed the bail application. The prosecution was seeking time for a reply so Amanatullah has been given a one­day judicial custody,” he added.

Khan on Sunday went to the Jamia Nagar Police Station to get himself arrested but the police refused to
apprehend him.

He wrote to Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday and resigned from all posts.

In his letter to Kejriwal, Amanatullah wrote, “I have been working wholeheartedly to serve people of Delhi. But
some people are not liking my honesty and dedication. Therefore I would like to get relieved of all responsibilities party has given me, I resign from all posts.”

Reports had emerged that the AAP MLA from Okhla tendered his resignation following the molestation charges
being filed by his sister­in­law against him and his brother­in law.

Khan is involved in an alleged recruitment scam in the Waqf Board where the Anti­Corruption Branch has
launched a ‘preliminary inquiry’ against him.

Khan has termed the move as “interference” in working of the body by Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung.

Khan was arrested on charges of threatening a woman on July 24 and was released on bail on July 28.