Srinagar SSP produced in court, gets bail

Srinagar: A court here today released SSP Srinagar Amit Kumar on bail after he was produced before it by his superior officer for his failure to comply with an earlier order to register an FIR against a DySP in connection with the killing of a youth in Tengpora area of the city last month.

SSP Srinagar Amit Kumar
SSP Srinagar Amit Kumar

“SSP Srinagar is directed to furnish the bail bonds to the tune of Rs 50,000 and personal bond for the same amount. SSP Srinagar has furnished the requisite bail and personal bonds, hence the same stand attested and accepted,” Chief Judicial Magistrate Srinagar Masarat Shaheen said in her order.

Earlier, Kumar was produced before the court under custody of the DIG, Central Kashmir as per the direction of the court.

He moved an application for recalling of non-bailable warrant issued against him on Saturday.

“As the SSP has been produced under proper custody and the warrant has been executed, hence application has already become infructuous,” she said.

Kumar was presented before the CJM after he failed to get any relief from the High Court against the order of the city court.

A non-bailable warrant was issued against Kumar by the CJM court for not complying with its July 18 order to register an FIR against DySP Yasiq Qadri and other police personnel for allegedly killing one Shabir Ahmad Mir inside his home in Tengpora in Batamaloo area on July 10.

The court, however, granted time till 2.30 PM tomorrow to the SSP for filing of statement of facts in the case.

He was directed to remain present in the court tomorrow.

The court also reiterated its earlier order of filing an FIR against the DySP within 24 hours.

“In case, SSP Srinagar fails to comply with the orders of the court, then the rule will be framed against him and same will be referred to Hon’ble High Court for punishing the SSP Srinagar under law,” it added.

In his application, father of the deceased, Abdul Rehman Mir had alleged that Qadri and other police personnel entered his house at around 6:45 PM on July 10.

“I along with the family members was watching TV when a police party, headed by Qadri, forcibly entered into my house and started smashing windows and doors. My wife tried to stop the police officer, but he became infuriated and assaulted us and hurled invective’s upon my wife,” Mir said in his application.

“My son, Shabir Ahmad Mir, who was present there could not bear the beating of his parents and tried to rescue his mother from the clutches of the said police official and other police personnel.

“On this, the said police official went into rage and started beating my son. Thereafter, he fired two shots at my son from his pistol from point-blank range. He died on spot,” the application said.