Delhi Police’s Ashok Chand retires

New Delhi: Delhi Police officer Ashok Chand, who was instrumental in solving several high-profile terror cases including attacks on Parliament and Red Fort and Jama Masjid blasts, retired from services today.

Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime) of Delhi Police Ashok Chand retired from services today.
Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime) of Delhi Police Ashok Chand retired from services today.

Chand who had joined police as a DANIPS officer in 1983, also had his share of controversies over a number of encounters including the one that took place at the underground parking lot of Ansal Plaza.

Chand, who had been the DCP of the special cell for six years, till then was shunted out. He also had to face a number of enquiries and appear before NHRC.

Having won a number of gallantry awards, he retired from the post of Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime) after nearly 32 years of service.

His colleagues organised a farewell for him today where he was appreciated and awarded by Delhi Police Commissioner B S Bassi.

A team supervised by Chand solved the Parliament attack case within 72 hours. The attack took place on December 13, 2001 and on December 15, the team apprehended Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorist Afzal Guru from Jammu & Kashmir.

A team led by Chand having ace investigators like Rajbir Singh, Mohan Chand Sharma and Lalit Mohan Negi cracked a series of high-profile cases. In fact, Singh is the only officer till date in Delhi Police’s history to get two out-of turn promotions within a span of 13 years.

However, both Rajbir Singh and Sharma died later. Singh was shot dead by a property dealer in Gurgaon in March 2008.

Inspector Mohan Chand Sharma was killed in the Batla House encounter in September 2008.

Chand was later promoted to IPS cadre following which he served as Commissioner in Andaman. He was also sent on deputation to Belize, a Central American country where he served as adviser to the police commissioner there.

An interesting case took place in August 2011 when Chand was DCP in Crime Branch.

“He had just returned from a vacation abroad to Delhi.

Soon after landing in Delhi, Chand informed the then Police Commissioner B K Gupta about his return. He was immediately summoned by Gupta who tasked him to pick up activist Anna Hazare from a Mayur Vihar residence. Hazare was going to sit on an indefinite fast with his supporters for a Lokpal,” said a police official privy to the details.

Leading a team of nearly 50 officers, Chand reached the apartment building and took Hazare into custody despite stiff resistance from his supporters Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia and Kiran Bedi and hundreds of people who had gathered at the spot.