CISF Sub Inspector, 100 others booked over Kozhikode airport violence

Kozhikode: Police have registered cases against 100 CISF personnel in connection with the clashes at Karipur airport between central security personnel and Airport Authority of India (AAI) staff, leading to the death of a jawan on June 10.

People gather in front of International Airport, after clash between CISF and AAI staff in Kozhikode on Wednesday night. PTI
People gather in front of Airport, after clash between CISF and AAI staff in Kozhikode on Wednesday night.
Photo : PTI

Police said they have also registered a case against CISF Sub Inspector S S Choudhary, from whose firearm a bullet accidently hit the jawan causing his death.

The cases against 100 CISF personnel were registered on the basis of a complaint from the Airport Authority of India, police sources told PTI.

No arrests have been made so far.

Police said they have taken the statement of Choudhary, who suffered burn injuries in his left palm during the incident and was undergoing treatment at the Kozhikode Medical College Hospital.

An FIR was filed against Choudhary tonight under various sections of IPC including Sec 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), 323 (punishment for voluntarilly causing hurt) and 324 (voluntarilly causing hurt by dangerous weapon), Police sources told PTI.

The case was registered on a complaint filed by Airport director on the basis of the statement of AAI employee, Ajit Kumar, who is also undergoing treatment.

Police had earlier arrested nine AAI officials, who were produced in court today and remanded to judicial custody till June 27. They were arrested on a complaint from CISF commander Biju.

Meanwhile, airport sources denied reports of mass transfer of CISF personnel from here to Bengaluru. “No one has been transferred,” the sources said.

A section of the media had reported that 100 CISF personnel posted at the airport had been transferred to Bengaluru in the aftermath of the violence.

A dispute over a CISF personnel who insisted that an official of the Fire Force department of Airport Authority of India (AAI) undergo security clearance led to a verbal duel between the two and in the ensuing melee the jawan received fatal gunshot injuries.

After the unprecedented violence, the airport was temporarily closed following which flights were diverted to Nedumbassery Airport in Kochi on the night of June 10.

The flight operations resumed the next day.