Published On: Sun, Sep 20th, 2015

Online curfew lifted in Gandhinagar, Vadodara

Ahmedabad: Online curfew was lifted today in Gandhinagar and Vadodara for internet access as the situation remained peaceful in Gujarat, a day after sporadic incidents of violence took place in some parts of the state following Patel quota leader Hardik Patel’s arrest for defying prohibitory orders.

Patel community leader Hardik Patel

Patel community leader Hardik Patel

“The situation is totally under control across the state.

No incidents of clashes or violence have been reported today,” an official at the state police control room said, adding that mobile internet ban has been lifted in Gandhinagar.

The ban on mobile internet services was also lifted in Vadodara city.

“Looking at current situation, I have ordered to lift the ban on mobile internet from today afternoon,” Vadodara Police Commissioner E Radhakrishnan said.

State Director General of Police (DGP) P C Thakur had yesterday banned mobile internet services across Gujarat for indefinite period to stop possible rumours.

Hardik, who is leading the agitation for reservation to his community under OBC category, was arrested yesterday while he was trying to take out the ‘Ekta Yatra’ from Surat. This led to violent protests in Mehsana, Surat and Bapunagar area of Ahmedabad, where angry mobs engaged in stone pelting and clashed with local police.

However, the protests did not spread further and were curbed immediately by police.

“Some angry locals of Bapunagar area came on roads and threw stones yesterday. However, local police along with State Reserve Police dispersed the mob. The situation is calm today,” Bapunagar police inspector R K Ladva said.

In Surat, the situation is under control following clashes yesterday after Hardik’s detention.

“There are no reports of violence today in the city.

Situation is normal and peaceful,” Surat Police Commissioner Rakesh Asthana said.

Similarly in Mehsana town, where angry protesters gathered in large numbers at Modhera road yesterday, there was no sign of any such protest today, an official at the district police control room said.


About the Author